October 1, 2010

♥ our story [part 10]



No... that definitely worked better than planned...
We hear the door open upstairs and jump apart and wave casual goodbyes to my roommate and boyfriend as they leave for dinner, pretending that nothing had just happened. But something h u g e had happened-- everything good that had once fallen apart fell right back into place that night.


January turned into February, and after a week of consecutive snow days, Kate and I finally begin Student Teaching. A few weeks into it, Kate catches the stomach flu and inevitably passes it on to me. I had to call in and skip student teaching that day- I'd been awake and constantly sick since 3am with no end in sight. 


I let Vince know that I was sick, and much to my surprise, he patiently sat on my bathroom floor with me for hours, patting my back as I threw up, then petting my hair as I layed on the floor by the sink with my head in his lap. Talk about attractive. Though I told him not to, he skipped his first class to go to the store to buy me 7Up and Saltines to try and help settle my stomach. 


His next class was important, so he put me in bed to try to sleep and went to that one, but immediately came back to my apartment to make sure I was keeping food down, love on me a bit, and keep a cool washcloth on my forehead. 


At one point during my "...we're on the floor....and you just watched me barf..." haze, I remember lying with my head in his lap and saying, "I want to tell you that I love you, but I want to save it for a better time. Like... so you don't just think its all barf related... because... you watched me do that and all..." (the smoothness continues)  Since he'd told me he loved me first the last time we'd dated, and I'd been so hesitant about saying it back, I knew that when I was sure that I loved him this time, I wanted to be the first to say it. For a week or so he'd been saying in a backhanded way "that's why you love me." or "this is why I love you." (as I also casually slipped), but I'd pretended I didn't hear it so it didn't "count" as being first. 


Late that night, when I was feeling somewhat better and laying in bed while Vince snuggled me and petted my hair, I took a deep breath, and sat up. I looked him in the eyes and said, "...Vince...I'm in love with you. And I've wanted to tell you for a while." It felt so good to say, and I'm hoping that I remember the moment perfectly, because if so, he waited a moment, took a breath, and said 

"Megan...I've been waiting to hear you say that for a very long time." 


And this time? We have been together ever since. There've been a few hiccups here and there, but that's to be expected with any relationship. All I know is that Vince is my best friend, he never gave up on me or us, even while we were apart, and we've grown so strong as a couple. I'm so thankful for every minute we've had together, and look so forward to every moment we'll have for years to come. 

Oh.
And then he got the stomach flu from me the very next day. 
And that is love. 


the end
to be continued... :)

Photobucket
Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. This is so cute! And what a cute blog you have. Happy weekend!

    P.S. I am having a giveaway, feel free to check it out and join in the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to know that my passing on the stomach bug to you gave you such a bonding moment. You're welcome. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read through your whole 10 posts, and I'm glad y'all are in a good place now! <3 The best relationships take work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Yayyyy! Remember how I just commented on (I think it was) #6? About "the end?" Yay for your "to be continued!!" Very cute. And good! :)

    So there's a major reason I got hooked and read through all 10 parts straight... You have a writing style that is at once entertaining and infectiously (no stomach bug pun intended,) addictively (not a real word, I know,) fun! I wish more people wrote that way but I think a lot of us are afraid most readers will get bored/distracted/annoyed at the length of our stories, and we end up cutting ourselves short.

    But really, do we want anyone reading our stories who *doesn't* totally enjoy reading them almost as much as we did writing them? (Hmmm... I think I might just do a post about that...)

    Anyhow, what you did dividing it into 10 parts is genius! When I wrote my hubby's and my love story it definitely came out as a saga (only the day we met, too; I didn't write about anything since, haha) but I didn't think to split it up. If you ever want to read it, I have an allergy to leaving people links to my posts :) but it's called "Fireworks Ever Since." (We met on the 4th. Totally cliche, I know, but HOW we met? is not. Haha)

    Whoa, speaking of sagas, I think I've just about overstayed my welcome in your comments section! LOL I guess I got in the mood to let the words flow... Thank you so much for sharing yours!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a really cute idea. You describe your relationship (ups and downs) so well. I loved reading through all of these!! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading. Love to hear your thoughts.