December 8, 2010

i love: conversations with kiddos.

via


I think my favorite part about teaching (aside from shaping the minds of tomorrow's future...and all that stuff..) is the fact that I get to have some of the best conversations during my work day.


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

[scene: giving practice reading comprehension tests. we give one minute to read passage, then give one minute to retell all they can remember about the story. passage excerpt: "...and the owl asked his friends what they wished for. the turtles wished for rain to fill the ponds and lakes so they could swim. the bees wished for pansies and other flowers for pollen to make honey..."]


boy student: "...to fill the ponds and lakes so they could swim. the bees wished for... *gasp*.."
me: "pansies."
student: "oh. pansies. the bees wished for pansies and other flowers for pollen..."
.......
me: "okay, are you ready to tell me what you rememeber?"
student: "yeah. but... okay. first? WHY would the bees wish for panties??

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

kindergarten student: "i found this shiny bead... and...i've been saving it my school box for a long time. and... i really want you to have it."
me: "aw, thank you!"
kindergartener's best friend: "...i like that bead.... i want that bead..."
me: "thank you for giving me this bead... but would you rather give it to her to keep in her box?"
kindergartener: "Um. Yeah. Sorry." *plucks bead out of my hand, runs away*

* * * * * * * * * * * * *  * *

kindergarten boy: "I saw you yesterday... you looked different though."
me: "did I? what's different?"
student: "well... your hair..."
me: "yes, I had it up yesterday, and now I have it down."
student: "no. that's not it. the weird thing about your hair... is that when you turn your head? one side get shorter, and one side gets longer." 
me: "does it really?"
student: "yeah. and that's the weird thing about your hair."
me: "well...thank you..."
student: "it is weird. and you're welcome." 


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
[reading 4th grade language arts benchmark aloud]

me: "I saw _______ in the pasture."   "Is it  a) deers   b) mooses   c) wolfes  or d) oxen. Pick one." 
boy student:  "...you can't see those."
me: "What?"
student:  "...That last one....you can't SEE those."
me:  "....Soo.. do you guys know what oxen are?"
class: "NO."
me: "...Its kindof like a cow?"
student: "OH."
me: "What did you think it was?"
student:  "I thought it was OXYGEN....and you can't SEE air."
me: "Nope, that would be correct."
another student: "Okay...um... now what's a pasture?" 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

As a side note.... I laminated myself today.  I leaned over to see if the paper was through... totally sucked in my scarf.  Luckily, I wasn't alone. A co-worker rushed to help me... and first asked if I'd like her to take a picture of me stuck in the laminating machine.  Then before deciding to cut me out, realized we could hit the reverse button... my scarf fell back out, unharmed, but a BIT flatter than before. 

1 comment:

Thanks for reading. Love to hear your thoughts.